Thursday, June 23, 2011

June 2011

I am reading an inspiring book of weight loss entitled "Half-Assed:  A Weight Loss Memoir."  The author, Jenette Fulda, decided that, as she neared 400 lbs., it was time to lose weight.  She didn't talk about, she didn't join any groups, she didn't count calories or carbs, she didn't even tell her family members.  She just decided to start eating in a more healthy manner and to begin exercising.  Her motto when asked was "move more, eat less."  That is what I've been saying as I've been on my weight loss journey since Oct. of 2008.

I haven't lost any weight in over a year, but due to exercising...not only cardio but also weights and weight machines, I am much stronger.  When I see pictures of my former body I am horrified that I let myself get that big and not truly realize how fat I was.  I still get discouraged because my belly is big.  BUT I have lost 7 inches of fat around my waist.  My arms sag (but so does just about every woman's on earth), but I think they are at least 3 inches smaller.

When I walk down an aisle at the grocery store it is not difficult to pass by the cookies, candy, chips or ice cream.  Those things do not have the pull they used to.  It doesn't mean that I never eat any of those things because I do.  But not very often.

Trying to lose weight doesn't mean you have to totally deprive yourself of everything you like.  I could have one piece of cake, but if I make a cake I will have 8, 9, 10 pieces of cake because I would help myself every time I passed the pan.  Well, almost every time.

There are certain things we choose to not have in the house all the time.  If something is a constant temptation, why even have it somewhere in your house?  If a person is trying to quit smoking would you keep a pack of cigarettes on the table?  I don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment