Thursday, December 17, 2009

Week 50

Week 50 was probably the most stressful week I've had all of 2009.

My husband took my dad to Portland, OR on Wednesday Dec. 9--just over 3 hours away from our home in Hermiston. On Dec. 10 dad had open heart surgery to replace an aortic valve. Dad had asked me to stay with my mom throughout the day, administer her meds at 9:30 and let the staff at the assisted living facility put her to bed, then go home. So on Wednesday that is what I did. Thursday morning I got a phone call from the nurse. My mom had slid out of bed twice onto the floor and it takes 3 caregivers to pick her up. "Someone has to be there 24 hours a day." I was told. These were not words I wanted to hear. So for the next 6 out of 7 nights (my husband took over one of the nights) I slept in a recliner outside the bedroom. Five or six times per night she was calling for me or for my dad to help her to go to the bathroom. I was told to not lift her due to not being trained...plus my parents are paying for the help. They were pretty horrible nights and by the final night my stress level was so high that my blood pressure was just about off the charts.

For one week I got virtually no exercise. I ate the meals that would have been my dads and the portions were smaller. Many nights I went to "bed" hungry and felt that way during the night whenever I was awake. But I don't eat during the night so I just lived with it.

On Week 49 I weighed 203.2.
On Week 50 I weigh 204.6 a gain of 1.4 pounds. I think I can attribute it in part to lack of exercise, plus I did eat the desserts at the meals.

One year ago I weighed 250.

No comments:

Post a Comment